Thursday, March 11, 2010

I think Mel Gibson wants to insult me

I'm Catholic; born, baptized and first communion and reconciliation. I used to love going to church when I was younger. Religion is a funny thing as a child; the higher power which ever it may be, seems so large and unwavering. It isn't until we are older that we begin to question the hypocrisy that is organized religion.

But since the age of twelve I haven't regularly attended church, but I have my own faith that doesn't require me to sit in a stuffy church with brown stained glass windows. I believe that everyone should come to their own conclusions about religion.


My parents were married in the same small church that i attended for years. I thought that i would get married in that church, had dreamed of it for years, in fact. But then, years ago Cantante got married there. And they treated her so poorly. She was wasn't allowed to have mass because sher lived with her fiance, the maid of honor was yelled at minutes before walking down the aisle for having exposed shoulders.


the road to hell
Basically, all my ideas of being married in the church were dashed. I was not about to deal with the
sanctimony involved. Mr., not being Catholic was fine with the idea. I would have had to strong arm him into it anyways.

I also like to joke about religion in a borderline blasphamous way. One of my all time favorite movies is Dogma. Not only because it has such a great cast but because it deals with religion is a way that proves how miscontrued religion can be. PLus it has Jay and Silent Bob in it. My favorite part?

Cardinal Glick: Mass attendance is at an all-time low in this country. But if we can let 'em know the Catholic church has a little panache, we can win 'em back – even get some new ones...Fill them pews, people! That's the key. Grab the little ones as well. Hook 'em while they're young.



Rufus: Kind of like the tobacco industry?


Cardinal Glick: Christ, if only we had their numbers.

George Carlin is a genius.




So that makes me a Cafeteria Catholic, (see definition three) . Which is fine by me.

1 comment:

  1. As your fellow lady catholic I agree with you 100%! I think it is so interesting how religion gets twisted. For example we are to be a loving people and accept and forgive right? Isn't that what the good book say's? Yet some of the same people praying in the stuffy church with the stain glass windows are the most judgemental and non loving people I have ever met. My life right now for one is 100% against my religion. I left my husband of 9 years for cheating on me. I am still currently married because divorce takes so long. I have a wonderful boyfriend who is also technically married but left his ex long ago as well. Are we worse than the prostitute purchasing ex? If so, I gotta say, blasphemy never felt so good...:) FYI my jesus is a loving jesus...:)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Who am I?

My photo
Pacific Northwest, WA, United States
The (Somewhat) true tales of twenty something northwest woman obsessed with Twilight, Pageants and various shallow things.

The Countdown has begun...

What am I doing here?

Beware of some mature content in here. You've been warned.

This is just the rantings of a woman who is slightly crazy. Obviously I am a bit narcissistic. I have obsessive tendencies toward a multitude of teenage directed materials. I should grow up already-but alas, here I am.

Twitter

My Blog List